Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Training Tuesday



This morning even though I wasn't feeling well I got up out of bed and hit the pool. The last 2 days I've had a sore throat but since I only got 1 workout in last week (I did 300m on Thursday and had to get out my head was killing me from a migraine) I felt I needed to go today. Surprisingly I did well I did the 750m in 13 minutes, so I shaved off 2 minutes. I was able to do the whole distance in freestyle. In the past when I would get tired I would do breast stroke as a break. I'm glad I was able to get to this point quickly, I only wish it was the same way for my time (I like instant gratification). My total workout was 1400m.

I was speaking with my fellow lane mate, he and I seem to work out of the same days and sees to be about the same speed. We were talking about why we are hitting the pool, he told me he used to swim for a Master's club in Etobicoke but it was too big of a time commitment for him so he just comes here to work out now. I told him about my goal of swimming the swim leg of the triathlon relay. I mentioned to him that' it's been about 20 years since I use to compete and he told me I must have been 5 or 6 at the time. I don't know if he was being nice or I genuinely look young. But that got me thinking about my age.

I feel young, I feel like I'm still in my late 20's, I have to think about my age when people ask me because I'm not really keeping track of it. That said there are things that are starting to let me know that I'm not as young as I use to be. My body is not as forgiving to me, my energy levels are as high either (but that could have something to do with the fact that I'm not very consistent in taking my thyroid meds) and I'm not as tolerant with others with certain things ( I don't suffer fools well anymore, if I ever did).

I do know next year is a big milestone year for me, I turn 35. I know this not because I'm celebrating that milestone but because that's the date I picked to get a tattoo. I've wanted one for a while but people (Rock) have tried to talk me out of it. I'm not getting it to rebel, I'm in my 30's I'm doing it because I think it looks cool and I want it. I don't' care if it sags when I'm old or if it's distorted, it's what I want. I had originally decided that I wanted to do it for my 33rd birthday but I had just given birth so I put it off until my 35th. The reason I did that is that I want the tattoo to incorporate my children. I wanted to get to know Tutu a bit and his personality so I can represent him in it. I want it to be funky and cute looking. I guess I should start researching a) where to get it done and b) what images I want to include.

I also weighed myself this morning and it seems like all the weight I lost has come back. And yes I do know muscles weighs more then fat and I should be looking at m overall loss (like the fact that my pants won't stay on anymore without a belt) but it still is a bit discouraging. Overall I am looking and feeling better so I guess I just need to ignore that number (which I do know, and is part of the reason we don't own a scale in our house).

And since I'm talking about weight loss, I just wanted to give kudos for Rock who has lost 14lbs in the last 3 weeks. While I don't think he's doing it in the healthiest way possible, I'm still proud of him of doing it. He's been working hard between reducing his portions and making healthier food choices (except that I think he's cut down his carbs too much as they are still an important part of nutrition) and working out. Way to go baby.

And then tonight I took the kids out for a walk, we walked for about an hour, played at the playground for about half and hour. At that point we raced our friends to their house (we ran and they drove) by the time I got there I glistened. And swam for about half an hour. I guess you can say I got my exercise quotient in for the day.


Pretty flowers we found on our walk

No comments: